What is C.A.R.E?
In 1987, a group of people came together to promote adoptions and care for the dogs and cats at the Evanston Animal Shelter. In 1989, the group incorporated as Community Animal Rescue Effort (C.A.R.E.™), an all-volunteer, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) organization.
Today, C.A.R.E. is an independent foster home based organization and has an expanded mission to serve all of the communities of Chicago's North Shore, including Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook and the Northern parts of the City of Chicago.
- adopts companion pets into safe, healthy, lifelong homes
- serves as an educational and counseling resource for pet owners
- works to reduce pet overpopulation
- supports local food banks with pet food for owners in need
C.A.R.E., as a humane organization, believes that every adoptable pet deserves a safe and loving forever home. Our rehoming approach takes into consideration the needs and expectations of the community and adopters we serve, as much as the well-being of the animals. Special care is taken to match potential adopters with the right pets. C.A.R.E. continues its commitment by being an available resource after the pet is in its new home.
Because all animals live in the moment, we are committed to the continual improvement of their quality of life by using volunteer foster homes to meet medical, emotional, and physical needs on a daily basis by stressing training, socialization, and mental stimulation.
C.A.R.E. is a “limited access, unlimited stay” organization. This means that adoptable animals remain with us until the right home is found.
Community Animal Rescue Effort is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization with a mission to serve the communities of Chicago's North Shore by fostering and supporting healthy, positive relationships between people and companion animals. C.A.R.E. rehomes companion pets into safe, healthy, lifelong homes; serves as an educational and counseling resource; and works to reduce pet overpopulation.
C.A.R.E. volunteers envision a future with no more homeless or abused pets.
In pursuit of this goal, C.A.R.E. will:
- be a premier resource in the North and Northwest suburbs of Chicago for adoptions and information regarding companion animals;
- be a national model for an effective and efficient volunteer humane organization with a committed, well-trained and diverse volunteer base;
- partner with a large and growing group of supporters who provide the financial resources needed to support our programs and services.
C.A.R.E. is licensed by the State of Illinois Department of Agriculture (License 14383).
Your participation as a C.A.R.E. volunteer or financial supporter WILL make a difference. For more information, please read our FAQ.